About the Journal

Download [This article belongs to Volume - 62, Issue - 09]

Abstract : The 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a highly contagious disease produced by SARSCoV-2 that is spread human-to-human by respiratory secretions. It was declared by the WHO as a public health emergency. There is an important risk of contagion for hospital surgical staff. Surgeons are particularly exposed to the greatest risk of infection while caring for COVID-19. The study aimed to preserve and ensure health staff, to prevent COVID-19 spread in surgical procedure rooms and describe the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on hospital procedures. Monocentric and prospective observational study was conducted in Rzgary Training Hospital, Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq. In the current study included 818 patients who were suggested to have surgical operations in different hospital departments between December 15, 2020, to April 12, 2021. Confirmation of COVID-19 was carried out by real-time reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and the COVID-19 rapid test (bio medomics). There are 818 patients collected. The mean of participant age was (33.11 ± 22.73 years), the ages divided to several classes such as Infant 54 (6.6 %), Children 152 (18.6 %), Teen Age 50 (6.1%), Adults 368 (45.0%), and older were 194 (23.7%) .According to gender of cases was 496 (60.6%) was female and the rest 322 (39.4%) were male, these patient tested before surgical operation 85 (10.4%) of them was infected with COVID-19 while 733 (89.6%) were uninfected, moreover, the most common diagnosis was identified as a prevailed positive covid-19 infractions cases found in Nose and Kidney surgical department out of 120 and 140 cases, there were 15 and 18 covid-19 infected cases respectively. Rhetoric immediate managing and virus control dominates on the relationship between surgery administrations and COVID-19 infection. These cases have COVID-19 managed to be quarantined. After recovery from infection, the infected cases are prepared for surgery. Tipping the management with service delivery in surgery will be key for sustainability of the surgical workforce.