About the Journal

Download [This article belongs to Volume - 64, Issue - 03]

Abstract : Burn infections pose a significant contribution to morbidity and mortality globally, particularly due to the emergence of multi-antibiotic-resistant strains, especially in developing nations. This study aims to ascertain the prevalence of Multidrug-Resistant (MDR) strains of gram-negative bacilli among patients with burn infections at the Burns and Plastic Surgery section in Al-Mouwasat Hospital. A total of 49 swabs were collected from patients between November 2023 and February 2024, at Al-Mouwasat Hospital. The isolation and identification of species was done by conventional microbiologic techniques. Antibiotic sensitivity was determined using Kirby-Bauer disk diffusion method. MDR strains were identified according to established international standards. All 49 samples contained Gram-negative bacteria. 10 samples (20.4%) exhibited the presence of two bacilli species, while the remaining (79.6%) contained a single one. Male samples were predominant (67.3%). Pseudomonas aeruginosa was the most frequently isolated organism, accounting for (39%) of the samples, followed by Klebsiella (34%), Enterobacter (22%), and E. coli (5%). Notably, all isolated strains were MDR. All isolates were resistant to Aztreonam and Erythromycin. Two P. aeruginosa and three Klebsiella isolates exhibited resistance to all tested antibiotics. Our study highlights the prevalence of Multidrug-Resistant Gram-negative bacilli at the burn and plastic surgery unit of Al-Mouwasat Hospital. Therefore, emphasis should be placed on prevention and control strategies, as well as the judicious selection of antibiotics to mitigate the spread of MDR strains causing infections.